In the Land of the Vikings

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The mighty Dettifoss. This waterfall was truly humbling. It is apparently the largest waterfall in Europe when measured by cubic volume/second. The fog rolled in just as we arrived, making for a monochromatic landscape. We were also the only people here; the advantage of travelling in the off season.
This is me standing next to a steam vent in Namafjall. This place was so exciting... boiling mud pits, stench of sulfur, steaming rocks... This is one of those things that I definitely wanted to experience while I was in Iceland. Just this one pile of rocks has made the whole trip worthwhile. Where else do rocks emit steam? I guess Yellowstone maybe... but who's keeping track! Back in the day, these rock piles were used for cooking. I don't know how tasty sulfur bread would be.
What a view! This is Iceland for you 80% of the time since I've been here. Beautiful in its own way. There is a waterfall down there somewhere, we just couldn't see it!
Boiling mud! Sorry, these pics are a bit out of order, but you get the idea.
And the fog lifts...now we can see Hafragilfoss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home